[Rubygems-developers] How to rebuild a gem

Han Holl han.holl at tietoenator.com
Mon Jan 19 10:47:32 EST 2009

I want to install a gem, but it doesn't build on my platform.
I fix the C-source, and submit a patch to the owner.

But I want to go on, and not wait for the maintainer to apply my patch.
How can I rebuild the gem, and install.

I tried to untar the original gem, untar data.tar.gz, drop in my .c file, and
tar it up again, but this doesn't work. I get an error message the some
directory already exists. I rm -rf'ed everything in the gem directory tree
that belonged to this gem, but still the same error.

Is there a way to do this ?

Han Holl

PS It may be relevant that I try this on a ruby-1.9.1 in /usr/local/bin, with
ruby-1.8.6 in /usr/bin.