[Rubygems-developers] The deprecation of autorequire

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Wed Jan 14 16:17:58 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm curious as to why Gem#gem doesn't autorequire the library:

require 'rubygems'
gem 'ptools'
require 'ptools' # Must I do this?
p File.which('ruby')

If I leave out the 'require' on line 3 it doesn't work.

I checked rubygems.rb and the $LOAD_PATH definitely includes the path
where the gems are stored, but as far as I can tell the Gem.activate
method does _not_ automatically call require (or gem_original_require)
on the gem specified.

Why not?

I realize in most cases you can just use reqular 'require', but that
doesn't work in all cases. For example, if I want to use Test::Unit 2.x
instead of the one that ships with the stdlib, I must use the above
approach.

This isn't a major deal. It's just a minor nuisance really, but I was
curious.

Regards,

Dan