[Rubygems-developers] rubygems passing ARGV to extension builders breaks usage via API

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 06:28:02 EST 2009

Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>>> I like this proposal.  Gem::Command could handle this, and have an accessor
>>> for something like "extra argv".  I don't want to try to put this in for the
>>> next release though.
>> Bug opened:
>> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=23210&group_id=126&atid=575
> I just committed a fix for this in revision 1987.

However, I'm getting extremely concerned about the seriously outdated
documentation on rubygems.org, as changes like this may end up confusing
the end users. In fact, I think rubygems.org is nearing the 'actively
harmful' stage it's so old. To wit: it still has the old 'require_gem'
method out there.

I would even go so far as to say that we shouldn't put out another
version of rubygems until we get access to rubygems.org and do some
serious updating.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Chad Fowler on getting access to the