[Rubygems-developers] Slow install with specific versions numbers

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:22:28 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finding that some gems are taking forever to install today, in
> particular it seems that when I specify a particular version number
>
> gem install webrat --version "= 1.2.16'
> gem install -v1.2.3 test-unit
>
> There is a looooong pause before any output.
>
> Might this have something to do with the move/forwarding to gemcutter?
>  And btw http://gemcutter.org is first on my list of sources.

webrat 1.2.16 is not in the gemcutter repository.

http://gemcutter.org/gems/webrat

I noticed that certain gems and its dependencies range 600K or even
bigger, like Rails at 2MB
(and not talking about the active or action dependencies)

The silent nature of RubyGems make things looks slower.

How slow is if you try to grab the gem directly? can you curl/wget one
particular gem?

wget http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/name-version.gem

--
Luis Lavena