[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Bugs-27507 ] Remove -t from gem install

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Dec 3 11:29:58 EST 2009

Bugs item #27507, was opened at 2009-12-01 17:36
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=27507&group_id=126

Category: `gem install` command
Group: None

Initial Comment:
this is a message body.

Date: 2009-12-03 09:29

Message:
I meant a property in the gem spec which would point to an executable test suite script - e.g. spec.test_script = test/test_suite.rb.  If this property existed, it would be used and the return code from the script would indicate test success/failure.

May be overkill and not worth modifying the spec; it was just an idea to allow people to use any testing framework they want.

Comment By: Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Date: 2009-12-03 01:15

Message:
Chad, what do you mean by a "test suite script"?

I was thinking a -r option to run the 'test' Rake task, if it exists.

I also realized that the approach suggested won't work for rspec, for example, because simply requiring an rspec test script doesn't generate any output. It looks like it assumes you're always running 'spec' from the command line directly.

Regards,

Dan

Comment By: Chad Woolley (thewoolleyman)
Date: 2009-12-01 19:49

Message:
'Is there a reason we can't just make -t run "ruby -I spec.lib
spec.test_files"' - good idea.  And/or add an additional spec parameter for a test suite script...

Comment By: Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Date: 2009-12-01 19:45

Message:
Is there a reason we can't just make -t run "ruby -I spec.lib spec.test_files" ?