[Rubygems-developers] Standard practice re: tests and specs in gems

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:49:30 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked Dr. Nic about this, but thought I might raise it here.
> I'm getting a gem ready for publication.  I'm using newgem/hoe.
> One of my alpha testers is asking about why things like the rake tasks
> and specs are being included in the gem.  AFAIK rubygems doesn't
> provide an easy way to run them, or does it.  Are they just
> unnecessary bloat for deployment?

Well, is not bloatware.

I found myself doing gem unpack and checking the Rakefile to test some
gems, either with RSpec or TestUnit.

> Similarly, what about the rake tasks and the rakefile itself.  Newgem
> and or hoe seems to be including this whether or not the they are
> included in the manifest, is this right or am I misconfigured somehow?

Same that previous point. The files including the gem, from my PoV,
should be the same that you have in the repository or the ones you
will zip up to share with someone else (or a system without packaging
like RubyGems)

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry