[Rubygems-developers] Standard practice re: tests and specs in gems

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:32:18 EDT 2009

I asked Dr. Nic about this, but thought I might raise it here.

I'm getting a gem ready for publication.  I'm using newgem/hoe.

One of my alpha testers is asking about why things like the rake tasks
and specs are being included in the gem.  AFAIK rubygems doesn't
provide an easy way to run them, or does it.  Are they just
unnecessary bloat for deployment?

Similarly, what about the rake tasks and the rakefile itself.  Newgem
and or hoe seems to be including this whether or not the they are
included in the manifest, is this right or am I misconfigured somehow?

Rick DeNatale