[Rubygems-developers] Making plugins easier to install

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Apr 24 20:53:49 EDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 01:41, Daniel Berger wrote:

> I was just reading over this nice article from Gabriel Horner:
>
> http://tagaholic.me/2009/04/23/how-to-write-a-rubygem-command-plugin.html
>
> One thing he describes that I didn't like was step 3 - the manual
> copy/paste bit.
>
> I think we need a way to automate that.

I don't see a copy/paste bit, maybe it has been edited since?

> One idea I had was to add the '--plugin' option for 'gem install'.
>
> Another idea that James Tucker brought up was to have users perform
> a regular gem install for a plugin, and to activate it later via
> 'gem activate plugin' or something along those lines.
>
> If we go the --plugin route, I think that means having to add extra
> attributes to the specification, which we may not want. As you can
> see, I haven't thought about the actual implementation yet. :)

I decided not to try anything special to allow feedback through pain.
Either plugin authors will get feedback about their plugins causing
pain or RubyGems may get feedback because its plugin system causes pain.

I think we can avoid --plugin and plugin activation by improved
documentation on how to be friendly.  The main danger here is that
plugins always get loaded so they may carry extra baggage around.  For
command plugins and for install hook plugins I think this can be
avoided since RubyGems is designed to be lazy about running those.