[Rubygems-developers] Making plugins easier to install

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 04:41:33 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was just reading over this nice article from Gabriel Horner:

http://tagaholic.me/2009/04/23/how-to-write-a-rubygem-command-plugin.html

One thing he describes that I didn't like was step 3 - the manual
copy/paste bit.

I think we need a way to automate that.

One idea I had was to add the '--plugin' option for 'gem install'.

Another idea that James Tucker brought up was to have users perform a
regular gem install for a plugin, and to activate it later via 'gem
activate plugin' or something along those lines.

If we go the --plugin route, I think that means having to add extra
attributes to the specification, which we may not want. As you can see,
I haven't thought about the actual implementation yet. :)

Regards,

Dan