[Rubygems-developers] [ rubygems-Feature Requests-25633 ] Improved "gem install -t" behavior

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Apr 23 06:10:40 EDT 2009

Feature Requests item #25633, was opened at 2009-04-23 03:10
You can respond by visiting:

Category: `gem install` command
Group: v1.3.x

Initial Comment:

The sequence for "gem install -t" looks something like this in Rubygems 1.3.2 when at least one test fails:

> gem install io-extra -t

Successfully installed io-extra-1.1.1
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for io-extra-1.1.1...
Updating ri class cache with 1916 classes...
Installing RDoc documentation for io-extra-1.1.1...

test_pread_ptr(TC_IO_Extra) [./test/test_io_extra.rb:65]:
expected to be kind_of?
<Fixnum> but was
ERROR:  5 tests, 9 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors, 0 pendings, 0 omissions, 0 notifications
...keep Gem? [Yn] n
Successfully uninstalled io-extra-1.1.1

There are a couple of things I don't like. First, it gives the impression that it successfully installed, or rather that it's installing before it's testing. I don't like that. I'd rather it downloaded it somewhere else, say the Dir.tmpdir directory, and ran the tests from there, instead of potentially mucking around in my gem lib dir.

Second, I'd rather it didn't generate ri and/or rdoc documentation (or update the ri class cache) until _after_ the tests have passed (or I've chosen to ignore failures and install anyway). Generating them beforehand is a waste of time if a user chooses to back out because of failed tests.

In both cases, the console messages (both content and order) should be changed.

You can respond by visiting: