[Rubygems-developers] The case of binary gems and Ruby versions.

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Thu Apr 16 20:44:30 EDT 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 16:15 , Eric Hodel wrote:

> I see two solutions:
>
> Package two separate gems with an indicator in the name for 1.8 vs 1.9
>
> Package a gem with both libraries inside, and add something to
> require_paths for 1.8 vs 1.9

or:

package the gem normally (but specifying what version of ruby should
be mandatory) and when it uploads it goes to a versioned depot. pure
ruby gems go up to a shared depot, binaries go to a versioned one. gem
fetch can deal with this since it has the spec already. I think this
should be transparent... NOT as another gem source.