[Rubygems-developers] 1.3.2 release notes

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:32:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> Here's what I've selected for the 1.3.2 release notes.  Let me know if I
> left out something important.  (I'm still doing some work on documentation
> here and there.)

I have some questions...

> I may be out of town over the coming weekend, so I expect I'd do a release
> Monday 4/13 or Tuesday 4/14.
>
> Release 1.3.2 fixes some bugs and adds some features.
>
> [...]
>
> * RubyGems now includes a Rake task for creating gems which replaces rake's
>  Rake::GemPackageTask.  See Gem::PackageTask.

What is the advantage of this? Asking this since rake-compiler tool
uses Rake::GemPackageTask to build the native versions, and in case of
an advantage, will be great to know.

> * Gem::Specification
>  * #validate complains about not-files.
>  * #description no longer removes newlines.
>  * #name must be a String.
> [...]

I required #dup in Gem::Specification for rake-compiler:

http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/blob/master/lib/rake/extensiontask.rb#L168-170

Due the lack of it, I just dump and loaded the generated YAML, which
was suboptimal.

> * `gem install`
>  * Uses Gem::bin_path in executable stubs to work around Kernel#load bug in
>    1.9.
> * setup.rb
> [...]

Does the installation update the existing stub scripts?

Thank you again everybody for working on this and keep improving
RubyGems functionality!

Looking forward for the final release. I'm going to start using this
now locally and see if something happens in the middle ;-)

Cheers,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17