[Rubygems-developers] 1.3.2 release notes
drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Apr 6 21:55:11 EDT 2009
Here's what I've selected for the 1.3.2 release notes. Let me know if
I left out something important. (I'm still doing some work on
documentation here and there.)
I may be out of town over the coming weekend, so I expect I'd do a
release Monday 4/13 or Tuesday 4/14.
Release 1.3.2 fixes some bugs and adds some features.
Select New Features:
* RubyGems now loads plugins from rubygems_plugin.rb in installed gems.
This can be used to add commands (See Gem::CommandManager) or add
install/uninstall hooks (See Gem::Installer and Gem::Uninstaller).
* Gem::Version now understands prerelease versions using letters. (eg.
'1.2.1.b') Thanks to Josh Susser, Alex Vollmer and Phil Hagelberg.
* RubyGems now includes a Rake task for creating gems which replaces
Rake::GemPackageTask. See Gem::PackageTask.
* Gem::find_files now returns paths in $LOAD_PATH.
* Added Gem::promote_load_path for use with Gem::find_files
* Added Gem::bin_path to make finding executables easier. Patch
* Various improvements to build arguments for installing gems.
* #validate complains about not-files.
* #description no longer removes newlines.
* #name must be a String.
* FIXME is no longer allowed in various fields.
* Added support for a license attribute. Feature #11041 (partial).
* Removed Gem::Specification::list, too much process growth. Bug
* `gem generate_index`
* Can now generate an RSS feed.
* Modern indicies can now be updated incrementally.
* Legacy indicies can be updated separately from modern.
Select Bugs Fixed:
* Better gem activation error message. Patch #23082.
* Kernel methods are now private. Patch #20801 by James M. Lawrence.
* Fixed various usability issues with `gem check`.
* `gem update` now rescues InstallError and continues. Bug #19268 by
* Allow 'https', 'file' as a valid schemes for --source. Patch #22485.
* `gem install`
* Now removes existing path before installing. Bug #22837.
* Uses Gem::bin_path in executable stubs to work around Kernel#load
* `gem install --no-user-install` now works. Patch #23573 by Alf
* `gem uninstall` can now uninstall from ~/.gem. Bug #23760 by
* Clarify RubyGems RDoc installation location. Bug #22656 by Gian
* Allow setup to run from read-only location. Patch #21862 by Luis
* Fixed overwriting ruby executable when BASERUBY was not set. Bug
by Michael Soulier.
* Ensure we're in a RubyGems dir when installing.
* Deal with extraneous quotation mark when autogenerating .bat file
Windows. Bug #22712.
* Gem::manage_gems has been removed.
* Time::today will be removed in RubyGems 1.4.
For a full list of changes to RubyGems and the contributor for each
the ChangeLog file.
More information about the Rubygems-developers