[Rubygems-developers] Gem Names not correlated to require name

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:26:00 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Jim Freeze wrote:

> What I am suggesting will NOT use autorequire. Really. Not. Nada.

I was in the midst of writing a longish reply suggesting that what you
asked for is semantically equivalent to the original auto-requiring
require_gem method, when it occurred to me to ask for clarification.

Are you asking for this:

    def bunny_foo_foo(gem_name)
      gem gem_name
      require the_default_load_file_for_gem(gem_name)

or are you asking for:

    def bunny_foo_foo(gem_name)
      require the_default_load_file_for_gem(gem_name)

The former is essentially the original require_gem command that we
were reacting to.  The later is something different.

Or did you have something entirely different in mind?

-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich at gmail.com