[Rubygems-developers] Gem Names not correlated to require name

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:45:09 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 3:14 pm, "Jim Freeze" <rubyg... at freeze.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some of the local ruby guys are starting to complain about the fact
> that they can't derive the require name from the gem name.
>
> Has this topic been brought up before? Are there opinions on how/if
> this can be solved?

This is more of an issue with the Ruby require system itself. There is
no necessary correlation between package name, load name or module
name. It's annoying in some respects. I especially find it bothersome
that one package can override another because they used the same lib
path (ie. load space). That's kind of dangerous, but in practice the
problem doesn't really arise b/c we developers know better and more or
less manually correspond our package names and lib names. It's
something developers really need to police themselves about unless
they have a specific reason not to. One such reason could be for
"plugins" --eg. say I want to make a template for rdoc. I could add
rdoc/generators/template/html/mytemplate.rb to my package's load space
and it might work (depending on how Rdoc works). However, while that
is a potential use, I'm not sure anyone is using it that way
(Anyone?). Nor am I sure it's a good idea to do things that way
regardless. And if that is the case, well, then arguably this lack of
correspondence is just a useless danger. But getting rid of it would
mean changing the way Ruby searches for libs.

T.