[Rubygems-developers] Gem Names not correlated to require name

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Tue Sep 30 15:42:41 EDT 2008

I think it's really up to the gem authors to name their gems

I feel their pain, though. I know it drives me batty when I try to
install "net-ldap", for example, and it fails because I forgot the gem
name is "ruby-net-ldap". Good thing there's a "ruby" in the gem name -
wouldn't want to accidentally install a Perl module, eh? ;)

The only solution I have is to use "gem search --remote ldap", for
example. You can usually figure out the "real" name from the resulting