[Rubygems-developers] [ANN] RubyGems 1.3.0
drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Sep 26 17:00:32 EDT 2008
Note! Some versions of RubyGems have a bug that will prevent
automatic updates. If RubyGems says it has nothing to update, run:
$ gem install rubygems-update
= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.3.0
Release 1.3.0 adds new features and fixes some bugs.
* RubyGems doesn't print LOCAL/REMOTE titles for `gem query` and
stdout is not a TTY, except with --both.
* Added Gem.find_files, allows a gem to discover features provided by
* Added pre/post (un)install hooks for packagers of RubyGems. (Not
* RubyGems now installs gems into ~/.gem if GEM_HOME is not writable.
--no-user-install command-line switch to disable this behavior.
* Fetching specs for update now uses If-Modified-Since requests.
* RubyGems now updates the ri cache when the rdoc gem is installed and
documentation is generated.
* Gem::manage_gems now warns when called. It will be removed on or
* RubyGems 1.3.0+ now updates when no previous rubygems-update is
Bug #20775 by Hemant Kumar.
* RubyGems now uses the regexp we already have for `gem list --
#20876 by Nick Hoffman.
* Platform is now forced to Gem::Platform::RUBY when nil or blank in the
indexer. Fixes various uninstallable gems.
* Handle EINVAL on seek. Based on patch in bug #20791 by Neil Wilson.
* Fix HTTPS support. Patch #21072 by Alex Arnell.
* RubyGems now loads all cache files even if latest has been loaded.
#20776 by Uwe Kubosch.
* RubyGems checks for support of development dependencies for
#20778 by Evan Weaver.
* Now specifications from the future can be loaded.
* Binary script uninstallation fixed. Bug #21234 by Neil Wilson.
* Uninstallation with -i fixed. Bug #20812 by John Clayton.
* Gem::Uninstaller#remove_all now calls Gem::Uninstaller#uninstall_gem
get called. Bug #21242 by Neil Wilson.
* Gem.ruby now properly escaped on windows. Fixes problem with
* `gem lock --strict` works again. Patch #21814 by Sven Engelhardt.
* Platform detection for Solaris was improved. Patch #21911 by Bob
Other Changes Include:
* `gem help install` now describes _version_ argument to executable
* `gem help environment` describes environment variables and ~/.gemrc
* On-disk gemspecs are now read in UTF-8 and written with a UTF-8
* If the SETUP_OPTIONS environment variable is set, pass its
arguments to setup.rb
* Remove deprecated constant warnings and really deprecate them.
* Now uses ~/.gem/cache if the cache dir in GEM_HOME is not writable.
* Deprecate options to 'search' other than Gem::Dependency
issue warning until November 2008.
* --destdir folder structure now built using Pathname, so it works
* Fixes to run tests when under test/rubygems/. Patch by Yusuke
* Locale-free patch by Yusuke Endoh [ruby-core:17444].
For a full list of changes to RubyGems and the contributor for each
the ChangeLog file.
Special thanks to Chad Wooley for backwards compatibility testing and
Lavena for continuing windows support.
== How can I get RubyGems?
NOTE: If you have installed RubyGems using a package system you may
install a new RubyGems through the same packaging system.
If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:
$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)
NOTE: RubyGems 1.1 and 1.2 have problems upgrading when there is no
rubygems-update installed. You will need to follow the second set of
instructions if you see "Nothing to update".
NOTE: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems.
If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:
$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)
If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:
1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb (you may need admin/root privilege)
== To File Bugs
The RubyGems bug tracker can be found on RubyForge at:
When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug output.
do that with `gem --debug the_command`.
Keep those gems coming!
-- Jim & Chad & Eric (for the RubyGems team)
More information about the Rubygems-developers