[Rubygems-developers] differing platforms values between Marshal.4.8 and spec.4.8 ?

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Mon Sep 22 13:01:51 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I was doing some investigation on gem repositories and I discovered
something on the gems.rubyforge.org repository.

It appears that any gem that is not a Gem::Platform::RUBY has different
platform values between the Marshal.4.8 file and the specs.4.8 file.

For instance in the hpricot gem:

  Marshal non-RUBY gems
      hpricot-0.4-x86-mswin32
      hpricot-0.5-x86-mswin32
      hpricot-0.6-java
      hpricot-0.6-x86-mswin32
      hpricot-0.6.161-java

  Specs non-RUBY gems
      hpricot-0.4-mswin32
      hpricot-0.5-mswin32
      hpricot-0.6-jruby
      hpricot-0.6-mswin32
      hpricot-0.6.161-jruby

The fun part here is that the none of the Marshal named gems exist at the
source_uri/gems/full_name.gem path, only those that are in Specs exist

Is this the correct behavior?  Is the Marshal.4.8.Z file to not be used
to determine the path to gems?  Should I only access the specs.4.8 and
latest_specs.4.8 ?

Here's the sample program I was using:

  http://p.ramaze.net/2017

enjoy,