[Rubygems-developers] Open issues for 1.3?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 19:13:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Segment 7 <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>>> I don't see any ctritical bugs remaining in the tracker. Is there anything
>>> else outstanding?
>> I'm checking out latest changes and see if they work or raise errors
>> under Windows (mswin32 and mingw32).
>> So far, two new errors has been introduced:
>> http://pastie.org/private/96wifrwcnzatkfqetada
>>  1) Error:
>> test_self_clear_paths(TestGem):
>> NoMethodError: undefined method `uid' for nil:NilClass
>>    D:/Users/Luis/projects/oss/rubygems/trunk/test/../lib/rubygems.rb:713:in
>> `set_paths'
>> It's important to mention that rely on Etc to determine owner is
>> unreliable across platforms.
>> I cannot suggest we use File::writable? instead since under Windows,
>> ACLs can deny you access to a specified folder and still show up as
>> writable, as I reported to RubySpec
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyspec/browse_thread/thread/2e2b21b73aca5fcc#
> We could add ACL based implementations for owned?, readable?,
> writeable? and executable? in win32-file if you're interested.

That's a chicken-egg situation: verify if the home folder is writable
to be able to install a gem will depend on a gem to do the job :-)

> Also keep in mind that, technically, other platforms implement ACL as
> well, which could be problematic.

Exactly my point, we are doing a platform-specific stuff there (uid
comparison) is something that shouldn't be.

> Regards,
> Dan

Thanks for the offer Daniel, and I think adding those to win32-file
will be great since ruby under Windows is blind in relation to ACLs.

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams