[Rubygems-developers] Bug in fetch?

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Sep 17 22:19:08 EDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 07:35 AM, Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:
> when I try to use the fetch separately, then gem fails with an error
> indicating missing privileges. This should not happend because
> fetch is documented as saving the gem archive to the current
> directory.
>
> flomac:vendor febeling$ rubygems-svn/bin/gem fetch hpricot --source
> http://code.whytheluckystiff.net
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
>    Permission denied - /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/
> hpricot-0.6.gem
> flomac:vendor febeling$ pwd
> /Users/febeling/vendor
>
> The error references the regular location of gems, and not the local
> directory.
> Seems wrong to me. This test happend from the trunk version as
> of today (r1868).

$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem list memcache-client

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem env path
/Users/drbrain/.gem/ruby/1.8:/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8:/System/Library/
Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
$ ruby -Ilib bin/gem fetch memcache-client
Downloaded memcache-client-1.5.0
$ svnversion
1880

Don't forget -I