[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 1.3.0 Upcoming

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Wed Sep 17 22:16:48 EDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 13:55 PM, Hongli Lai wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> No.  It is not cross-platform.
>
> Could you elaborate on this? As far as I know, there is no true
> cross-platform standard on where to install user-specific files.
>
> Installing to ~/.local as per the XDG standard doesn't violate any
> existing standards, but does follow the standards which many Unix
> desktop software is already following. Installing to ~/.local
> doesn't break anything.

RubyGems already does sensible things to your home directory.  There's
no reason to change RubyGems (and thus reeducate all its users) just
because there happens to be a standard out there that's popular this
month/year/decade.

> Besides, installing to ~/.local makes the user's home folder less
> messy.

RubyGems already uses dotfiles (.gem and .gemrc), so the only benefit
I see is that I the user gets a ton of files or directories in
~/.local that they don't normally see instead of ~/.

It would take a very large change to do this the right way, breaking
up the various things RubyGems stores in ~/.gem between data, config
and cache.  Furthermore, XDG says nothing about what to do with
libraries.