[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 1.3.0 Upcoming

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 19:07:57 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Phil Hagelberg <technomancy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would be pretty annoying to have to traverse two extra levels
> of directory nesting to find my gems though. There's already three
> levels due to splitting out by ruby version number and implementation;
> why add to this?

I agree.  If there are no real standards, why not just use .gem?  Most
people will probably be navigating there via the command line anyway,
so having it in the root of the home dir is less work for from the
command line.  If you are clicking through a GUI file browser, like
Phil said, you probably already have to deal with tons of dot files -
and a probably not a power user, which is another reason to make it
very easy to find as something named "gem" in the root of the home
dir.