[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 1.3.0 Upcoming

Phil Hagelberg technomancy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:17:33 EDT 2008

Hongli Lai <hongli at phusion.nl> writes:

> Installing to ~/.local as per the XDG standard doesn't violate any
> existing standards, but does follow the standards which many Unix
> desktop software is already following. Installing to ~/.local doesn't
> break anything.
> Besides, installing to ~/.local makes the user's home folder less messy.

Users are pretty used to seeing lots and lots of dotfiles in their home
directory. Right now I have 102 such items, and it's never bothered me;
there's a reason these are hidden by default.

I think it would be pretty annoying to have to traverse two extra levels
of directory nesting to find my gems though. There's already three
levels due to splitting out by ruby version number and implementation;
why add to this?

It seems like the other things kept in .local in my box are very
end-user-desktop-specific. Rubygems is meant to run on all kinds of
machines, so I don't see why this freedesktop.org standard is relevant
here. Perhaps if you could point to the relevant sections of the standard?