[Rubygems-developers] Bug in fetch?

Phil Hagelberg technomancy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:10:02 EDT 2008

"Caspar Florian Ebeling" <florian.ebeling at gmail.com> writes:

> flomac:vendor febeling$ rubygems-svn/bin/gem fetch hpricot --source
> http://code.whytheluckystiff.net
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
>     Permission denied - /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/hpricot-0.6.gem
> flomac:vendor febeling$ pwd
> /Users/febeling/vendor
> The error references the regular location of gems, and not the local directory.
> Seems wrong to me. This test happend from the trunk version as
> of today (r1868).
> Do I miss something or is this a bug?

I can't reproduce this on trunk. Can you give us the value of Gem.dir
and Gem.user_dir from IRB?

It looks like you may be using the "gem" executable from the bin
directory with the system-installed "lib" files. Try this instead:

$ cd rubygems-svn
$ ruby -I:lib bin/gem fetch hpricot --source=http://code.whytheluckystiff.net

That will ensure that you are using the lib directory from the
checkout. It's a bit confusing if you're used to bin files that set the
load path explicitly with File.dirname(__FILE__) as is common.