[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 1.3.0 Upcoming

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Sep 12 18:20:28 EDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 17:49 PM, Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>
> wrote:
>> Please test out RubyGems trunk.
>
> All of the GemInstaller integration/regression tests are passing.
> Looks good there..
>
>> Current Release notes for 1.3.0:
>
> Um, you mean 1.2.0, right?  That's what rubygems_version.rb says in
> trunk, anyway.  Wait, I already have that installed!  Can you _please_
> start bumping the version as soon as you release?  In other words,
> after this release, bump to 1.4.0 in trunk, and bump to 1.4.1 again
> right before release.  Multiple people have asked for this to make
> their lives easier when integrating against trunk versions of
> rubygems.  It's necessary if you need to put backward-compatibility
> version-conditional logic when calling the RubyGems API.  If you
> don't, I have to manually edit the version in whenever I integrate or
> install from trunk.  It doesn't hurt anything for the public releases
> not to end in zero.  It's the right thing to do.  NOT to do so sets a
> bad example for other gems.

rake install isn't enough?  Is there some other thing you could write
with generate_rubygems_version (in Rakefile)?

>> * RubyGems now installs into ~/.gem if GEM_HOME is not writable.  Use
>> --no-user-install command-line switch to disable this behavior.
>
> This sounds awesome, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to
> change to this approach if you already have rubygems installed as root
> (in the standard system location).

This is for installing gems, not RubyGems software itself.  I will fix
the release notes to remove potential confusion.

> Finally, I'm not sure how to test this fully on my local box.  First,
> running "rake gem" fails because I don't have
> /.gem/gem-private_key.pem.  Even if I had the gem, how would I force
> gem update --system --user-install to use a non-released local update
> gem, rather than the latest one on rubyforge?

I've fixed `rake gem` to warn if you don't have a key or certificate.