[Rubygems-developers] rubygems / http://gems.rubyforge.org/ stability (RubyGems will revert to legacy indexes degrading performance)

Greg Hauptmann greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 20:05:25 EDT 2008

Hi,  (I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to raise this?)

I have been having stability issues with http://gems.rubyforge.org/
over the last week.  Is this a known issue (i.e. trying work out if
this is global or an issue at my end).

For example I have been unsuccessful in getting "mysql" installed.  I
get a "RubyGems will revert to legacy indexes degrading performance"
output.  See below:

Macintosh-2:myequity greg$ sudo gem install mysql
Password:
WARNING:  RubyGems 1.2+ index not found for:
RubyGems will revert to legacy indexes degrading performance.
Updating metadata for 23 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org/
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method `full_name' for #<String:0x1b93218>
Macintosh-2:myequity greg$
Macintosh-2:myequity greg$