[Rubygems-developers] Bugs with ~/.gemrc gemhome and gempath overrides not being respected

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:55:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Phil Hagelberg <technomancy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> Thanks for helping with this.
>

>> It's my understanding they should always be symbols, but I could be
>> wrong here. I looked through environment_command.rb, and I don't see any
>> reference to string versions; could you point them out?
>>

> Hmm, it seem to be working OK with the symbols now.  Maybe it was something
> related to the config home not being exposed.

OK, I reproduced this now.  It is when you do a 'gem list'.  Unless you have
the non-symbol version (line not starting with a colon) for gemhome and/or
gempath, you will get the extra gems installed in the system dir.  Not
positive if this is related to the Apple stuff, but it is definitely
inconsistent between the symbol and non-symbol.

This may be related to the issues with SourceIndex not respecting this
stuff, I'm composing that thread now.

-- Chad