[Rubygems-developers] Bugs with ~/.gemrc gemhome and gempath overrides not being respected

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 03:45:01 EDT 2008

I'm experimenting with trying to force RubyGems to only load gems out of
~/.gem - to ignore any system installed gems - the goal being to facilitate
a smooth sudo-less gems environment.

There's a couple of problems I'm seeing.  If these are confirmed as bugs,
I'll open tickets and try to come up with some failing tests.

First, there is some confusion over whether the 'gempath' and 'gemhome' keys
should be strings or symbols.  Looking through config_file.rb and
environment_command.rb, there are inconsistencies.  You will also get
different results from Gem.path and `gem env` depending on whether you use
strings or symbols

Next, there are problems on Leopard where the overrides in .gemrc will be
overridden (if APPLE_GEM_HOME or RUBY_FRAMEWORK_VERSION exist).  The
settings in .gemrc should always take precedence, I would think.

-- Chad