[Rubygems-developers] Gems on Github and Dependencies

Josh Susser josh at hasmanythrough.com
Fri Nov 28 10:02:05 EST 2008

You can tell rubygems where to look for gems by adding a source.

     ~> gem source -l
     *** CURRENT SOURCES ***

     http://gems.rubyforge.org
     ~> gem source -a http://gems.github.com
     http://gems.github.com added to sources
     ~> gem source -l
     *** CURRENT SOURCES ***

     http://gems.rubyforge.org
     http://gems.github.com

You can also use the --source option on the gem install command, but
keep in mind --source replaces the list of standard sources, it
doesn't add to them.

--josh

On Nov 27, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Jim Freeze wrote:

> Hello
>
> If we post gems on github, where does rubygems look for dependencies?
> Is it possible to have dependencies on github or will rubygems always
> look for dependencies on rubyforge, or at all?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jim Freeze

Josh Susser