[Rubygems-developers] Executing code after installing gem

Matt King swdc17 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 07:39:57 EST 2008

2008/11/25 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>> Well because it's not something a user will execute at the CLI, it's a
>> required executable by the gem itself in order for some functionality
>> to work.
> By required executable you mean a binary? Or you're calling/shelling
> out to another ruby script that you bundle?
> If you provide more information (ala: details) will be much more easy
> for us to contribute ideas to proper implement this without guessing
> :-)

Alright, so the gem is a Rails app that gets symlinked from several
directories. The app uses background_job (bj), and in the gem there is
a jobs/ folder. background_job requires all of these files within this
directory to be world executable. And it must live in the jobs/
folder. It never gets executed by a user at the CLI, but when a job is
submitted via the Rails app, it spins it off using the corresponding
files in this folder.

Additionally, although I have it world executable before building the
gem, it doesn't seem to stick when I actually build it.

Thanks for the help,