[Rubygems-developers] Binaries dependencies (shared_libraries) for Windows.

Dominic Sisneros dsisnero at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 11:45:56 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
> This issue was raised originally back in 2007:
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-March/002646.html
> And raised again by Charlie Savage in July 2008:
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-July/003978.html
> I've explored the different alternatives under several environments
> and the following are my findings:

I was looking from the links from the site where the compiled windows
binaries for the current one-click-installer are located to see if there is
any info how they compile and do stuff on windows and found this information
from the following site

*Aug. 21, 1999 added*
>From version 1.4.0 of Ruby, DLL generation got easier.
All you have to do is comment out the module list in Setup.nt. (If you
uncomment, it generates statically linked binaries.)

Now two versions' modules need to find a way to co-exist. You should put

   cygwin32 version of extension module DLL's in XXX/i386-cygwin32

   mswin32 Vern of extension modules DLL's in XXX/i386-mswin32

 There should be no problem with this setup.

Basically, you can find out where the modules should be with following

ruby -e 'puts $:'

 With Ruby 1.4.0,

cygwin32 version's output should be

 so, just put cygwin32 version of Ruby extension DLL in

with mswin32 version, you'll see

 so, put modules in

So, we could possibly have one directory
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 for mswin32 compiled stuff
and a separate directory for mingw-32 compiled stuff if we have a
separate name for ruby.exe and rubym for

But, either way, I suggest we put the dll in a i386-mingw subdirectory
either off of gems directory
or main ruby directory