[Rubygems-developers] Binaries dependencies (shared_libraries) for Windows.

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Sun Nov 16 16:19:17 EST 2008

> I've explored the different alternatives under several environments
> and the following are my findings:
> 1) Alteration of PATH to prepend the DLL location.
> 2) Usage of SetDllDirectory

Maybe we do something simple and say that all shared dependencies get
put into ruby/lib on windows (or create a new directory, ruby/shared or
something).  Or we could just do what happens now, put everything in
bin.  But I think its probably be better to separate them out.

One potential drawback with this solution is if 2 gems use the same
shared library, but install different versions (although maybe the files
would have different names).