[Rubygems-developers] Persistent URI for rubyforge rubygems downloads?

Tom Copeland tom at infoether.com
Tue Nov 11 11:26:41 EST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 4:37 AM, Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Tom Copeland <tom at infoether.com>
> wrote:
> The RubyForge file downloads are more or less round-robined between
> the various mirror servers... I say "more or less" because some
> server are handed more requests than others.  But all the mirrors
> should be serving all files after the rsync'ing process has
> finished...
> That doesn't appear to be the case.  For example, this link is still
> valid:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/43985/rubygems-1.3.0.tgz
> However, this one (manually edited to point to 1.3.1) is not:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/43985/rubygems-1.3.1.tgz

Oh gosh, sorry, I misunderstood.  As Austin said, those ids are the
release_ids... they're tied to a PostgreSQL SEQUENCE, so that's why
they're incrementing.

> 1. A currently-valid mirror could go offline in the future
> 2. There is still no generic url to grab the "latest" without
> hardcoding the version in the url - which means scripts must still
> be updated even if all mirrors worked and stayed around forever.

As part of the release process, someone could update a
rubygems.rubyforge.org/latest.txt to point to the latest release...
kinda clunky though.... hm.