[Rubygems-developers] Persistent URI for rubyforge rubygems downloads?

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 07:34:05 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Tom Copeland <tom at infoether.com> wrote:
>> The RubyForge file downloads are more or less round-robined between the
>> various mirror servers... I say "more or less" because some server are
>> handed more requests than others.  But all the mirrors should be serving all
>> files after the rsync'ing process has finished...
>
> That doesn't appear to be the case.  For example, this link is still valid:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/43985/rubygems-1.3.0.tgz
>
> However, this one (manually edited to point to 1.3.1) is not:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/43985/rubygems-1.3.1.tgz

Those are not mirrors. They are release IDs. They are, in fact,
different things and you should not expect that they remain the same
for everything.

It's been a while since I've released anything on RubyForge, but you
typically create a release (for 1.3.1) and then upload the files as
appropriate for that release.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/