[Rubygems-developers] Persistent URI for rubyforge rubygems downloads?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 06:26:27 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:06 AM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com> wrote:

> The point is, though, rubygems release rake task could upload such a file
> as static content under http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/install-latest.rb or
> similar. One could then use the same trick.

OK, this could work, and wouldn't require a change to the rubyforge
infrastructure.  Even if it was just download-latest.rb that would still
accomplish the goal and be simpler.

> With rubygems, you could even pack up a little trick to install from the
> rubygems_update package and use a query on the source_index to find it
> maybe, or keep a yaml file with a pointer to the current version, or
> whatever.

Right, but I'm mostly concerned about clean installs or reinstalls from the
tarball.  If you already have rubygems > 1.2.0, you can just use the normal
auto-update method.