[Rubygems-developers] Persistent URI for rubyforge rubygems downloads?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 06:06:00 EST 2008

On 11 Nov 2008, at 09:41, Chad Woolley wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:50 PM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> how about something like this:
> http://github.com/raggi/source_ports/tree/stable/install.rb
> but wrapped up for rubygems setup.rb?
> Hmm.  Not positive, but looks like that is dependent on the
> existence of a git branch named "stable".  I don't think that is
> really relevant to this problem, which would be a rubyforge URL
> which always pulls the latest published version of the files on the
> rubyforge rubygems project.

Only the install points to a stable branch, the installer itself
installs from several possible branches.

The point is, though, rubygems release rake task could upload such a
file as static content under http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/install-latest.rb
  or similar. One could then use the same trick.

With rubygems, you could even pack up a little trick to install from
the rubygems_update package and use a query on the source_index to
find it maybe, or keep a yaml file with a pointer to the current
version, or whatever.