[Rubygems-developers] How to freeze gems that require native extension without sudo rights ?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 20:08:38 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Thibaut Barrère
<thibaut.barrere at gmail.com>wrote:

> I guess I'll just wait for the shared upgrade to rubygems 1.3.0, or use
> GemInstaller.

Not sure how the Joyent setup works, but if you locally install the correct
version of rubygems (e.g. in ~/rubygems), you should be able to manipulate
your ruby interpreter's load path before you require rubygems, and force it
to use your local version.  Something like this I think, you'd have to look
at the rails/merb executable to know exactly what to do:

"ruby -I #{rubygems_lib_dir}#{File::PATH_SEPARATOR}#{rubygems_bin_dir}
path/to/run/rails/or/merb"

Might be an easier way, but I don't know offhand...