[Rubygems-developers] How to freeze gems that require native extension without sudo rights ?

Thibaut Barrère thibaut.barrere at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:17:28 EST 2008

not sure if it's the right place to ask this question, but I could not find
a user list or anything else. Please tell me if it's the case!

One of my servers is a joyent shared accelerator - basically a system where
I can't sudo and where system gems are upgraded from time to time by an
administrator. To insulate my apps (Rails, Merb,. ..) from these changes, I
freeze the gems I use into version control.

Some projects rely on gems that have native extensions, such as hpricot or
do_sqlite3 for instance.

Luckily these gems happen to be already available on the system but I'd like
to protect my apps from any upgrade there too.

Is there a way to install these gems without having sudo rights (ie:
compiling into some specific folder, telling rubygems where to pick the
binaries, or any other solution ?)

I'd love to be able to find the same "freezed" behaviour for these gems and
avoid to be bitten by a system upgrade.

Any hint will be most welcome!

thank you,

Thibaut Barrère