[Rubygems-developers] A couple patches to help JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon May 26 22:48:07 EDT 2008

FYI, there's a couple bugs with patches that hopefully can get into the
next maintenance release. We've modified them locally, but we'd like to
avoid the juggling act we have to do when upgrading:

[#19866] Rubygems fails with NameError: StringIO
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=19866&group_id=126&atid=575

This one occurs because under MRI, YAML pulls in StringIO. Under JRuby,
it does not, since we have our own YAML implementation. Other
implementations may or may not have the same problem, so adding an
explicit require 'stringio' seems like a good idea.

[#20379] RubyGems only looks at platform for win_platform? method, and
so doesn't install .bat files under JRuby
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=20379&group_id=126&atid=575

JRuby's platform is always "java", but we have the correct OS name in
rbconfig's "host_os" property. So this fix just adds a second check to
the win_platform? method, allowing .bat files to install correctly with
JRuby on Windows.

Any objections to including in the next maintenance release?

- Charlie