[Rubygems-developers] Binary gems or extension source - which and how?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 05:06:30 EDT 2008

On 22 May 2008, at 09:37, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Nic Williams
> <drnicwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there are any lessons to be learned, and things to be added to
>> the newgem
>> generator I'd love to have them. The original generator for
>> extensions was
>> an encapsulation of what I had learned at Euruko so it might not be
>> all
>> encompassing.
> I think there is no solution to fit all the scenarios. (One tool to
> rule them all?).

I use this one for situations where there is no pre-built binary gem.
It's really designed to run on our local gem server (which includes a
windows build environment), and then it packs up any gems that change:

It probably needs more work, and requires root on most *nix systems.
It'll also need some tweaks to work with rubyinline, which I've yet to
complete (thus the lack of release).

Anyway, have fun.