[Rubygems-developers] Binary gems or extension source - which and how?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu May 22 04:37:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Nic Williams <drnicwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> If there are any lessons to be learned, and things to be added to the newgem
> generator I'd love to have them. The original generator for extensions was
> an encapsulation of what I had learned at Euruko so it might not be all
> encompassing.

I think there is no solution to fit all the scenarios. (One tool to
rule them all?).

Some developers want 1 extension into their gems (ext/), sometimes
other put another nested level (ext/my_ext), there are others that
have more than 1 extension (ext/{foo,bar}) so can be difficult to fit
all these scenarios out of the box.

> Another option is to replace the Hoe block with Echoe (see echoe gem). I
> think it has more support for extensions, but again I don't know what that
> extra support is :)

Evan added good support to it, mostly extracted of our interaction
with Mongrel gem. You will also get stuff like:

Platform.make, Platform.windows?, Platform.gcc? or Platform.msvc?

These handy definitions can let you: exclude or include dependencies
or task in your Rakefile based on GCC, windows or microsoft compilers
(also java?)

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams