[Rubygems-developers] Binary gems or extension source - which and how?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:09:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Clifford Heath
<clifford.heath at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've used newgem to build a gem that's a simple wrapper for the wbxml
> library,
> and I'm not sure how to publish it. My Manifest includes the ext files,
> including
> extconf.rb, but since newgem & hoe build the gemspec file on the fly, I
> haven't
> been able to work out how to arrange for the extension to be built on
> install.
> Can someone give me some pointers please? The reference is too detailed,
> I'm looking for a recipe if possible.

You need to tweak somehow the spec Hoe generates inside the Hoe.new
do...end block.

AFAIK, right now Hoe is not able to handle normal C extensions, only
inlined ones (the ones generated via RubyInline).

I think Aslak Hellesoy published something related to this subject:

> Also, what support does gems provide for the naming procedure for binary
> files? If I want to publish platform-specific binary gems in addition to the
> source
> version, what's the procedure?

rubygems itself append the platform specific to the end part of the
filename it generates:

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams