[Rubygems-developers] Binary gems or extension source - which and how?

Clifford Heath clifford.heath at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:55:23 EDT 2008

I've used newgem to build a gem that's a simple wrapper for the wbxml
library,
and I'm not sure how to publish it. My Manifest includes the ext
files, including
extconf.rb, but since newgem & hoe build the gemspec file on the fly,
I haven't
been able to work out how to arrange for the extension to be built on
install.

Can someone give me some pointers please? The reference is too detailed,
I'm looking for a recipe if possible.

Also, what support does gems provide for the naming procedure for binary
files? If I want to publish platform-specific binary gems in addition
to the source
version, what's the procedure?

Clifford Heath.