[Rubygems-developers] The return of PLATFORM constants

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Thu May 15 10:23:24 EDT 2008

That's what I do. But what do I set the Gem::PLATFORM to? I can't just
use 'CURRENT', because FreeBSD won't pickup an OS X gem. I can't use
'RUBY' because there are other platforms, too.

The only solution I've got so far is to either create separate gems, or
just lump _all_ of the source files together and let extconf.rb sort it
out. The latter approach works, but the downside to that approach is
that I can't be specific about the rdoc files, so I end up a bunch of
extra .c files (from other platforms) that get picked up during rdoc
generation.

> > I'm in a similar situation with gems that aren't particular to any
> > version of a given platform or compiler. For example, the sys-cpu
> > source for Solaris is the same for any version of Solaris,
> be it 2.6
> > or 2.10. Here's where a Gem::Platform::SOLARIS would be very handy.
> >
> > Is there any chance of adding these? If not, what are my options
> > outside of building a gem on every platform?
>
> You should be able to hand-specify a platform with something
> like Gem::Platform.new 'x86-freebsd', but there seems to be a bug.

I'll see what I can see. :)

Thanks,

Dan