[Rubygems-developers] Why is ruby gems always updating when using "--source" ?

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Wed May 14 09:31:05 EDT 2008

Hello Luis,

>>  I know but it shouldn't matter.

LL> Don't get your point.

Well if http://gems.rubyforge.org is the default for --source the
operation should be exactly the same if i use or leave the option.

>>  In terms of performance rubygems sucks huge at the moment.
>>  With more then 3000 gems and 13000 versions we need a lot of
>>  improvements.

LL> Mmm, I hardly understand your point, issued the same command here and
LL> got ackbar spec results in 2 seconds... even with the bulk update...
LL> and on Windows.

Okay how much data was transfered?

I'm not interested in seconds i'm sure it is the data transfer size
that kills the performance it. How much data is transfered?

At the moment on my system everything seems to be impossible to
install anything.

Just because every simple command wants to update my fucking local cache,
even when i don't see a technical reason why it needs to be updates.
For example installing a gem where i give the exact version number.
This should just do a http request download a gem file and unpack this
in the correct places. Where does it need any information about other

So why is it trying to do a 10min bulk update? Mostly the connection
is getting a time out anyway, so even waiting is impossible.

And it tries to do this on every second or third operation?
Even if i just did a remote listing (with --all --details)
just before this operation (which should have send enough information
for the rubygems client).

Well when i think i really don't understand why we should have a local
cache for ruby gems at. I don't see any real value. It just adds
overload and complexity. So can you tell me what the purpose of the
local cache is and keeping any information locally other the local
downloaded gem archive files?

Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com