[Rubygems-developers] Why is ruby gems always updating when using "--source" ?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:40:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Lothar Scholz
<scholz at scriptolutions.com> wrote:
> Hello Luis,
>  Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 6:29:36 PM, you wrote:
>  LL> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Lothar Scholz
> LL> <scholz at scriptolutions.com> wrote:
>  >> Hello,
>  >>
>  >>  when i did something pretty easy like
>  >>  gem specification ackbar --remote --verbose --source "http://gems.rubyforge.org"
>  >>
>  LL> gems.rubyforge.org is the default, first gem repository rubygems will
>  LL> use for the commands you indicate.
>  I know but it shouldn't matter.

Don't get your point.

>  >>  and have to wait a long long time, but without --source it does it
>  >>  immediately (well still slow but at least without any updates).
>  >>
>  LL> When you explicitly indicates it, it skip the current local cache it
>  LL> have for it and try downloading again.
>  First i do not understand why the local cache does not not have an
>  indicator for the repository url (it should find out that source is
>  just the same). I do not even understand what the purpose of this
>  cache is when an explicit "--remote" is added.
>  Second why does it want to update any kind of data when i just want to
>  retrieve a remote spec.
>  Sorry i think something is terrible broken here.
>  In terms of performance rubygems sucks huge at the moment.
>  With more then 3000 gems and 13000 versions we need a lot of
>  improvements.

Mmm, I hardly understand your point, issued the same command here and
got ackbar spec results in 2 seconds... even with the bulk update...
and on Windows.

So maybe is kind of dumb to actually understand your point here, or
maybe you didn't explain it better.

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams