[Rubygems-developers] Why is ruby gems always updating when using "--source" ?

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Wed May 14 08:30:45 EDT 2008

Hello Luis,

LL> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Lothar Scholz
LL> <scholz at scriptolutions.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  when i did something pretty easy like
>>  gem specification ackbar --remote --verbose --source "http://gems.rubyforge.org"

LL> gems.rubyforge.org is the default, first gem repository rubygems will
LL> use for the commands you indicate.

I know but it shouldn't matter.

>>  and have to wait a long long time, but without --source it does it
>>  immediately (well still slow but at least without any updates).

LL> When you explicitly indicates it, it skip the current local cache it
LL> have for it and try downloading again.

First i do not understand why the local cache does not not have an
indicator for the repository url (it should find out that source is
just the same). I do not even understand what the purpose of this
cache is when an explicit "--remote" is added.

Second why does it want to update any kind of data when i just want to
retrieve a remote spec.

Sorry i think something is terrible broken here.

In terms of performance rubygems sucks huge at the moment.
With more then 3000 gems and 13000 versions we need a lot of

Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com