[Rubygems-developers] dependent gems not installed when using a --source gem repository

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Mon May 12 13:04:54 EDT 2008

I've got an alpha gem I am working on called make_models and I'm hosting it now on my own gem repository. Both main and arrayfields are gem dependencies of make_models.  If I download it and install from a file the dependencies are resolved.

I got this report from someone else who tried to install it from my gem repository without having the prerequisite gems:

>sudo gem install make_models --source=http://rails.dev.concord.org/gems/
>I get this error:
>(9:27:59) [tikal:/web/rails] pburney% sudo gem install make_models --source=http://rails.dev.concord.org/gems/
>Bulk updating Gem source index for: <http://rails.dev.concord.org/gems/>http://rails.dev.concord.org/gems/
>ERROR:  Error installing make_models:
>       make_models requires main (>= 2.8.0)

Has anybody else seen this problem?

It could be something wrong with my gem since it's one of the first two gems I've made.