[Rubygems-developers] The return of PLATFORM constants

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 13:18:37 EDT 2008

I have a few C extensions where I would like to be able to provide a
way to specify a generic platform.

For example, the sys-cpu source is the same for both FreeBSD and OS X.
However, as things stand now I must create two separate gems - one for
each platform. Here's where a Gem::Platform::BSD constant would be
very handy. Or whatever you want to call it.

I'm in a similar situation with gems that aren't particular to any
version of a given platform or compiler. For example, the sys-cpu
source for Solaris is the same for any version of Solaris, be it 2.6
or 2.10. Here's where a Gem::Platform::SOLARIS would be very handy.

Is there any chance of adding these? If not, what are my options
outside of building a gem on every platform?

PS - I thought I brought this up before, but now I can't find the thread.