[Rubygems-developers] Gem 1.1.1 bulk updating all the time

Hongli Lai hongli at phusion.nl
Tue Jun 24 04:31:33 EDT 2008

Neil Wilson wrote:
> 2008/6/23 Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net>:
>> Really, though, you should upgrade to 1.2.
> 1.2.0 is definitely a lot better at first glance. With my sysadmin hat
> on I prefer to give software a good time to bed in before recommending
> an upgrade. However in this case the problems with our 256Mb machines
> are pretty much insurmountable so I'll just have to trust that your
> testing regime is sufficiently rigorous ;-)

I tested RubyGems 1.2 on an OpenBSD VM with 256 MB RAM and no swap. It
worked fine, and installation was fast too. This is what I did:

gem source -u
gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri --no-update-sources
gem install something_else --no-rdoc --no-ri --no-update-sources

Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: info at phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)